Update on December 18th Meeting with Rosa Escareno, Deputy Chief Operating Officer, City of Chicago, Office of the Mayor.
LDI’s Director, Susan Taney and Kathy Pobloskie, LDI advisor, along with five members from Advocates for Chicagoland Animals and Chicago Rescue Round table, were asked to meet with Rosa to discuss what we felt was needed to hire an Executive Director for Chicago Animal Care and Control. Rosa said the Mayor had received our petition, calls and letters from Chicago residents for a nationwide search for the new ED. An ad has been posted on three national websites with applications closing January 11, 2016. We were very pleased with the meeting. We want to thank everyone who took the time to sign the Advocates for Chicagoland Animals petition or called their aldermen and the Mayor. They heard us.
The second meeting that day was with Martha Martenez, Cook County’s Director of Administration, who oversees the department of Cook County Animal and Rabies Control. We discussed the following:
- Encouraged Cook County Animal and Rabies Control to use reasonable priced microchips which includes registration. Profits from these sales could provide low cost or free microchip clinics for under served areas.
- Search for grants to help fund these types of clinics. Gave them names of organizations that may have available grants.
- Encouraged the County to use Helping Lost Pets, a free national map based database, since there are multiple stray holding facilities in Cook County and Chicago
- Gave them our municipality listing for Cook County animal holding facilities.
- Asked that they add Lost Dogs Illinois to their website as a resource.
- Asked for the copy of the ordinance saying that rabies tag monies have to be spent towards rabies education, etc.
- Asked what the plans are for the surplus of money for CCAC. As of 2015 that was approximately $8 million.
- We were told that CCAC are working with the Cook County Sheriff’s department.
We, at LDI, hope to continue a working relationship with Cook County and CACC.